Monday, August 4, 2008

Sleeping like a log

yes.. baby fans the little girl does sleep like a log as the blog post would indicate.. but as Paul Harvey would say.. Here's the rest of the story....

(and for my friends, former colleagues, etc in pediatric practice out there.. I am of course always welcome to suggestion on how one might resolve this dilemma)

Our cute and fabulous little "Claire Bear" will sleep for HOURS (4, 6 even 7!) during the right times of day and night given one critical condition. She will sleep on me (yes on me.. in a big 'ugly' super comfy recliner in the nursery) or of all other places in her car seat.


She loves her car seat.. amazing!

She will also pass a few hours of time on the couch while I am sitting there working (or watching TV) and in some cases has been known to stay content in one of our many table top swing or vibrating chairs.. but I am sad to say Baby fans our little bundle of joy is not a huge fan of the one place I have a video monitor set up to watch her sleep peacefully surrounded by all things wonderful for sleepy time - her crib!

I put her in her crib and I am lucky to get 20-30 minutes of non crying time. (notice I didn't say sleep) This hasn't been a problem yet since as you can see she will sleep darn near anywhere else.. but I feel a little odd setting her in her car seat on my nightstand at night to have her "go to bed" (an no.. it hasn't come to that yet.. her and I opt for the sleeping in the big comfy chair in the nursery)

She also loves her puppy.

But as sleep is such a critical part to anyone persons day.. I thought it was worth mentioning. I'd love to hear any other fun sleep (or no sleep) stories from others out there. Experienced parent feedback is always welcome. In the meantime here's to happy, healthy, countless hours of sleep. Goodnight.

2 comments:

Romney said...

Okay, I'll be brave and post a comment re sleeping! Both of my girls started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. This is the one and only thing I'm good at. Start Claire on a nap schedule. At 4 weeks, she should take 3 naps a day. Put her in her crib for all 3 naps. SERIOUSLY! Set a time limit like 30 minutes per nap. Do NOT pick her up. You can keep going in there, patting her on the back, starting the mobile, putting the Binky in . . . but keep her in there. She'll get the idea. Once she can nap in her bed, she will be able to sleep at night in her bed. We know someone with an 11 year old still in their room . . . Good luck!

Michele said...

I've heard of people putting their babies in their car seats at night, and putting the car seat in the crib...

I've also had friends who disregarded the back-to-sleep rule...

My personal recommendation-- Jodi Mindell's book "Sleeping Through the Night"... I started using this with James when he was about 3 months old...